Robert Hamilton – Glenties/Drumnasillagh

Welcome to Glenties Forums Genealogy Robert Hamilton – Glenties/Drumnasillagh

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Joseph 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Graham W
    Participant

I am trying to find anything related to my relative Robert Hamilton,

Robert Hamilton, was a Land Steward and lived (I am fairly sure) in Drumnasillagh. I have no birth or death information. I know his occupation from his son William’s Australian marriage certificate. That’s also where I got his mothers maiden name from (McEvey or Macevery).

My Great Grandfather, William Hamilton, was born in Glenties on 23 Mar 1847 (from the marriage certificate).

He was baptised on 15 Jun 1847 in Ardara Parish, Donegal, Church of Ireland (from Roots Ireland).

Mary Hamilton died on 16th of January 1880, the widow of a Land Steward. She died in Drumnasillagh. So Robert was dead by then.

William was a monitor and then First Monitor at Glenties school. This information is from the Teachers Salary Books.

His sisters were Sarah (1849-1919), Catherine (1844), Frances (1859), Mary (1840)

Sarah was also school mistress in Glenties (from her marriage certificate).

William left Ireland and emigrated to Australia in 1867. His occupation was teacher. He joined the Victorian Education Department as a teacher rising to Chief Inspector of Schools and being awarded a Bachelor of Arts from Melbourne University.

Joseph
    Keymaster

Graham,

Your question was posted on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Glenties/posts/10156547501068926

There are some replies there that might be of interest

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.