Glenties Notes 23rd September 2008
The sudden death took place in Carrigart of Davy Ward, Derryloughan, Glenties on Monday 15th September 2008. His remains were brought to Letterkenny Hospital later that day and to St. Connell’s Church, Glenties on Thursday evening. Fr. Pat Prendergast celebrated Requiem Mass on Friday morning at 11.00a.m. Readings were by Davy’s sister Catherine and his nephew, David. Catherine also read Prayers of the Faithful. Burial took place afterwards in the New Graveyard. He is survived by two sisters, Catherine and Teresa and one brother, Patrick, nieces, nephews, other relatives and friends to whom sincere sympathy is extended.
Sincere sympathy is extended to John Gallagher, Strasallagh and Kathleen Boyle, Shallogans, Glenties on the death of their sister, Annie T. Dunleavy, Glenfin Road, Ballybofey, which took place on Wednesday 17th September 2008; also to her family, her nieces, nephews and other relatives and friends.
Sincere sympathy is extended to Peter Gallagher, Main Street on the death recently in Coventry, England of his niece Lynda Early.
The Glen of Glenties Tug O War Club is hosting a charity Tug O War competition this Sunday 28th September at 3.00 p.m. at the Glen Tavern. All proceeds are in aid of the Donegal Hospice. Pullers from some of the top clubs in the country will be competing. People are urged to come along and enjoy the crack while supporting a very worthy cause.
Congratulations to Connell, Jimmy and Donal Ward from the Glen of Glenties who won world silver medals at the recent World Tug O War Championships held in Sweden. Their brother, Brendan is also involved in the sport but could not travel to the championships due to work commitments. The Ward brothers are sons of John and Kitty Ward, Meenavale, Glenties.
Registration for Glenties Youth Club will take place this Thursday evening 25th September at 8.30 p.m. in the Youth Club Building on the Rock. Any parents wishing to register their child must attend as places are limited. Registration fee is 10.00 Euro.
Congratulations to Michael Mc Dermott, son of Danny and Mary Mc Dermott, Meenagrubby, Glenties, who received 1st Class Honours in his Masters in Léann an Aistriúcháin (Translating Studies) in NUI Galway. Michael will graduate in October.
Congratulations to the Naomh Conaill U10 ‘A’ team who won the highly prestigious annual 9-a-side tournament organised by the St. Teresa’s G.A.C. in Belfast last Saturday. The team, playing against some of Ulster’s top clubs and St. Finbar’s of Dublin won the group stages handsomely, playing some excellent football. In the semi-final they defeated St. Enda’s (Belfast) comfortably. In the final they met Carryduff (Down) and in a much tighter match than the scoreline suggests, they emerged victorious 5-3 to1–3. Team captain, Kieran Gallagher accepted the Cup on behalf of the players, who were all stars on the day. The team enjoyed a rapturous homecoming on their arrival back in Glenties, a fitting tribute to an excellent and dedicated young team. Joe Mc Kelvey, Michael Quinn, Martin Mc Dyre and Damien Craig managed and coached the team.
Fiddle and Guitar lessons will start in the Primary School Gym, Glen Road, Glenties on Saturday 4th October at 10.30 a.m. For further information contact Ernan at 074 – 9541037.
Downstrands Family Resource Centre Night Classes:
- Sage 50 (computerised accounts) – Glenties Community Centre – Wednesday nights, starting on 1st October for 10 weeks – Cost 90 Euro.
- Computers for Men – Ardara Community Child Care Centre – Monday nights, starting on 6th October for 8 weeks – Cost 65 Euro.
- Intermediate Computers – Downstrands Women’s Centre – Monday nights, starting 6th October for 8 weeks – Cost 65 Euro. All computer classes are from 8.00p.m. until 10.00 p.m.
- Swimming Lessons – Mill Park Hotel, Donegal Town – starting Wednesday 1st October for 8 weeks. A Bus will leave Dolmen Centre at 7.00 p.m. Cost of bus -10 Euro per night – first 4 weeks paid in advance. Lessons 8 Euro per night – paid at hotel.
- Morning Exercise Class – ‘Stretch – Move & Relax.’ in the Dolmen Centre, starting on Monday 6th October – 10.30a.m. – 12.00 for 8 weeks – cost 50 Euro – suits all level of fitness.
- 3 – Day Occupational First- Aid Course (certified) – Ardara 22nd 23rd 24th October – 10.00a.m. – 3.00p.m. – cost to be decided subject to availability of funding. For further information contact Ann / Bernie / Hazel at 074 9545879. As spaces are limited on all courses, please book by 29th September. Information on more classes to follow next week.
On Sunday 28th September auditions for a New Choral School for primary school children from 3rd – 6th class will take place in the Bluestack Centre, Drimarone from 12 noon – 2.00p.m. For further information contact Barbara Edwards at 087 – 7825813.
You must log in to post a comment.